Educational Pathways Pilot Program
In November last year, the NSW Government announced an Educational Pathways Pilot Program to transform the way students and parents think about their post-school options and future careers. It is with great pride that Hoxton Park High School was selected to participate in this important program.
Over the next two years, Hoxton Park High School along with the support of the Department of Education, will focus on improved career advice and in-school opportunities for our students.
We believe the education students receive here should be of the highest quality and the broadest range. Under the Pilot, we will be opening up new opportunities such as school-based apprenticeships and wider subject options to ensure the students of Hoxton Park High School and their parents have all the facts they need to take that critical next step.
To give you an idea of what’s to come, please read on for some of the Pilot highlights:
· Specialist Careers Immersion Teams have been launched. Under the leadership of a dedicated Head Teacher - Careers Education, the Teams will be collaborating with local industry and employers to create training opportunities for students. Our goal is to make sure all students are work-ready for the industries Cowpasture is crying out for.
· Dedicated School Based Apprentice and Trainee Mentors will soon come on board to support and guide students and also work with industry and employers to develop partnerships with the school and broker employment opportunities.
· Career guidance and support for students who may be struggling to decide which subject choices and post-school education is right for them.
· Firsthand accounts from NSW’s best apprentices and trainees discussing the valuable and long-term career opportunities that a vocational qualification offers.
· Opportunities to study apprenticeship or traineeship units at school that could lead to higher level VET qualifications and a one-year credit into a university degree.
· Workshops to help inform students about employer expectations for work, including how to dress, how to behave and important employability skills.
· The extension of funding to school students who do not want to pursue an HSC to undertake VET pathways while still at school.
· Important wrap-around services for early school leavers looking to access TAFE NSW.
These are just a selection of what is on offer for our students. We are thrilled to participate in this pilot, and encourage you to contact Olga Gromof on 0431 195645 to learn more and get involved in these exciting initiatives.